Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Your donations have been distributed to the elderly (Click on the picture for larger view)


















Total amount of donations I was able to collect was $362. My mother collected $300 from her friends in New York, which brings a total of $662!!! That is $62 over our goal.
Upon my mom's arrival to Honduras this past July, she met with Sonia Argueta, who has been our point of contact in Honduras and went straight to work. My mom and Sonia were able to distribute corn,beans, rice,clothing, canned foods, flour,juices, blankets and babyfood to the elderly in the little town of San Jose de Colinas. As you can see in the pictures, items were placed in the plastic bags, loaded on a truck and distributed to the extremely poor elderly who have been abondened by their families. For two days they loaded the truck very early in the morning and drove to the mountains of San Jose De Colinas to hand out the bags. My mom would not stop telling me how these two days have been one of the most rewarding days of her life. She said she could not stop crying as they went from town to town visiting the elderly who have no electricity, running water and whose homes are about to fall down. Her heart would break as she would see the elderly who could barely walk trying to run towards the truck to be able to receive a bag. But what moved her the most was when an elderly man gave my mom a broom he made himself with his name signed on it to show his appreciation for the items he received. Since he could not give her money he wanted to giver her something he valued, something he was proud of, his new broom. I think he wanted to give back to the people who were helping him and this broom is the most he could do. Doesn't this break your heart? It sure does make me feel grateful for EVERYTHING I have. I always thought that I would do anything to support my family financially and wondered why there are some people who seem to be too lazy and rather die in their gloom and misery. But I never really thought about the people who are too old to physically be able to help themselves. It makes me think alot about my future when I grow old...
Over 700 bags were distributed!!! So please feel very proud for donating to this cause. I know there are millions of people who need help and it seems like 700 is not much BUT IT IS!
And I know I have said this before, but thank you so much for allowing my family to have this life changing experience. It has been so rewarding for us since we started doing this last year and I invite all of you to live your own experience. I think helping 700 people at a time is not bad, not bad at all. THANK YOU and thanks so much to my mom who basically has been finishing or executing the work that I get started ;-)

No comments: